Home   |   Print Page   |   Contact Us   |   Sign In   |   Join Us
News & Press: RETAIL

Retail Sale of Fireworks

Monday, June 5, 2017   (0 Comments)
Posted by: Admin

The Iowa Department of Public Safety’s State Fire Marshal Division has updated its website with information on how to obtain the proper licensing with the state to participate in the retail sale of fireworks at your business. The legislation approving the retail sale of fireworks in Iowa can be viewed here. Please note that Senate File 489 requires a retailer to provide proof of and maintain commercial general liability coverage with minimum per occurrence coverage of one million dollars and aggregate coverage of at least two million dollars.

Under the authority of the State Fire Marshal, retail sites that wish to sell fireworks in Iowa must first submit an application to sell retail fireworks along with an initial site plan. Following the approval of the application and site plan, the State Fire Marshal requires an in-person site inspection be scheduled with the Division before final site approval is granted. All required permits and site plans can be found on the State Fire Marshal Division website using the following link: Retail Sales of Fireworks.

PMCI is planning to meet with representatives from the State Fire Marshal Division this week to work through any discrepancies between Senate File 489 and NFPA 1124. PMCI members with questions about the specific requirements contained within NFPA 1124 and how they apply to your retail site should contact John in the PMCI office.


Membership Management Software Powered by YourMembership  ::  Legal